Self care and fitting your own mask first!

Last weekend I was on a training course. It's been a few hectic weeks and working all weekend felt a little overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and love learning but whenever I go on training courses I end up exhausted in a whole different way to my normal working day! You get me?!

It can be hard to remember to look after ourselves when we're busy.

I don't know if it's a trait of being a therapist, a trait of being a Mum or just my personality that everyone seems to come before me!

Sometimes I have to feel burnt out before I recognise that I've taken on too much and this is not a great trait! So when I was training last weekend and was reminded of the the importance of self care it jump started me back into caring for me.  It was a general discussion when the facilitator reminded us of the rules around oxygen masks on an aeroplane. As anyone who has ever flown will know, we are told to place our own mask on before helping anyone else. Why is this? Self explanatory right? You can't help anyone else unless you are OK first. Sounds fairly obvious when it comes to oxygen (an impending doom) yet, sometimes in life we can forget that we need to think about our own needs before we help others. How can I help someone else to breathe if I'm not breathing? 

Making art can be great for breathing space - whether it is a little bit of doodling or, like me, sketching the sunshine falling across a rural landscape whilst sitting in a hotel room during a training weekend. Taking time to stop to think about my needs has been an important opportunity to think, take stock and relax without having to take care of others. I noticed a shift in my mindset and motivation and I'm booked to have a few pamper moments over the coming months to make sure I don't forget me.

So when was the last time you came first? Remember it's not selfish - it's essential.
If you don't fit your own mask first you are less able to help others.

What can help you to think about you? What are your needs? How you you make time to breathe?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Begins : Unleashing the Hidden Creative

Growth Mindset

Anxiety - what helps?